Academic Counseling FAQ header-img

Academic Counseling FAQ

The Academic Resource Center (ARC) can enhance your student experience by providing helpful resources, services, learning opportunities and by encouraging a supportive campus community. ARC serves all TMU students, with a particular focus on peer-to-peer tutoring in various areas. See the admissions, financial aid, and housing FAQ here:

What is an academic counselor, and how is it different from my academic advisor?

A student’s academic advisor is assigned according to major and emphasis. Advisors give professional and vocational advice. This includes assisting with developing an undergraduate road map of required classes and a timeline of completion.

An academic counselor is assigned based on a student’s academic standing. Academic counselors are here to support TMU’s undergraduate students under probation or monitoring.

What is academic monitoring?

Incoming freshmen and transfer students are placed on academic monitoring by their admissions counselors if they do not meet all of the university’s admittance criteria. Monitored students will be assigned an academic counselor to support their successful acclimation to TMU’s course workload, syllabus requirements, student life, or any area of concern a student may have.

Currently, matriculated students are placed on “monitoring” status when they earn two (2) consecutive term grade point averages below 2.0, which is the university minimum for Satisfactory Academic Performance (SAP).

All monitored students will have bi-monthly appointments scheduled to meet and discuss any academic concerns, services, or needs they may have with their academic counselor. Monitoring is designed to provide an extra level of support to aid academic success. This will not be printed on official graduate transcripts.

What is the PASS agreement form?

Students on academic probation or monitoring are placed in our Program for Academic Support and Success (PASS). Students participating in PASS commit to identifying and improving their strategies for academic success. The PASS Agreement form is an internal contract that students sign, agreeing that they will meet with the university’s academic counselors on a periodic basis to monitor their progress and ensure that they will have a successful semester. If students obtain a 2.0 or higher in their first semester, they will no longer need to participate in PASS.

Why am I a conditional admit subject to academic monitoring?

The student’s admission counselor has the discretion to grant a conditional admit to students who do not meet the minimum university admission requirements. Those with conditional admittance receive academic monitoring to aid in their adjustment to university life and standards.

Why am I on academic probation?

Academic probation status is placed on students whose cumulative GPA is under 2.0 for a single (1) semester. Students on academic probation are granted an additional semester to raise their GPA above 2.0. While on academic probation, students are required to meet with their academic counselor to ensure that they are supported. If an individual raises their cumulative GPA above 2.0, they will be removed from academic probation status. 

Students on academic probation who achieve a cumulative GPA below 2.0 for two (2) consecutive semesters are subject to academic disqualification. The student shall be notified immediately upon the conclusion of the second-semester final grade submission. Notification of disqualification will be made by letter, and the student may appeal by submitting a letter via email to the university provost stating why they should not be disqualified. The student’s request will then be reviewed by the university provost for a final decision. The student shall be notified of the final decision by letter.

Request Info