Frequently Asked Questions

Post-9/11 GI BILL

What benefits will I receive if I use the Post-9/11 GI Bill at The Master's University?

If you are eligible for 100% of Post-9/11 benefits, you will receive the following benefits:

  • 100% of tuition covered in both the Fall and Spring semesters (the Veterans Administration will pay TMU directly for tuition).
  • All fees covered for the Fall Semester.
  • Up to $1000 dollars for books and supplies per year.
  • TMU Student Health Insurance paid.
  • Monthly Housing Allowance paid directly to the student.

To calculate your exact benefits and housing allowance, please visit the the GI Bill Comparison Tool.

What extra paperwork will I need to have to utilize my GI Bill at TMU?

You will need a copy of your "Certificate of Eligibility."

How do I obtain a copy of my "Certificate of Eligibility?"

First, you will need to make sure that you have applied for your GI Bill through the Veteran's Administration. You can begin an online application here. After successfully applying for your benefits, the VA will mail you a copy of your "Certificate of Eligibility." You can also obtain an online copy through eBenefits which can be accessed here. If you would like a duplicate or replacement certificate mailed to you, then please follow the directions here.

What is the The Master's University (TMU) application process for veterans?

The application process for TMU is the same for everyone regardless of veteran status. You can begin an online TMU application by clicking the "Apply" tab at the top of this page. Be sure to notify the admissions staff of your veteran status, and your admissions counselor will guide you through the complete process. Additionally, you will need to begin and complete a TMU Financial Aid Application. More detailed instructions can be found through Financial Aid, or you can call them directly at 661-362-2290.

I am seeking to use my Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits for my dependents. What must I do?

The first thing that you must do is make sure that you have transferred your GI Bill benefits to the dependent in question. Detailed information about transferring your GI Bill can be found here. After successfully transferring your benefits and obtaining a copy of your dependent's "Certificate of Eligibility," you will need to follow the same steps as our veterans.  Please see the above question "What is the TMU application process for veterans?"

"Yellow Ribbon" Program

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?

The Yellow Ribbon Program is an optional program that private institutions can participate in to help GI Bill students cover 100% of their tuition costs. As of 2016, the Post-9/11 GI Bill will only cover $21,970.46 per academic year for tuition at private universities. Since the tuition at private schools often far exceeds that amount, the Yellow Ribbon Program was designed and established to cover the remaining costs for students at private universities.

Is The Master's University a Yellow Ribbon school?

Yes, The Master's University is a fully participating member of the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Are there any requirements for being able to apply for the Yellow Ribbon program?

In order to qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program, you must be eligible for 100% of the Post-9/11 GI Bill. This information will be indicated on your "Certificate of Eligibility."

Parents: If you plan to transfer only a limited number of months of GI Bill benefits to your dependent, your dependent still qualifies for the Yellow Ribbon program provided you are eligible for 100% of the GI Bill.

Where can I go to learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Program?

For more information, you can visit the VA website here.

Online Education Program (TMU Online)

I am currently in the military and would like to utilize Tuition Assistance to pay for TMU Online classes. Is there anything that I need to do or should do?

The first thing you will need to do is check with both your command and your base education office to verify that you qualify for Tuition Assistance (TA). If you qualify, the next step will be to apply to the TMU Online Program. You can begin your application anytime by clicking on the "Apply" tab at the top of this page. After you have been accepted and enrolled, please notify the TMU Student Accounts Department as soon as possible that you intend to use TA to pay for classes. Student Accounts can be contacted by emailing or calling 661-362-2212.

Please note: The Master's University is currently only accepting TA from the Air Force and Army.

I am a veteran looking to use my GI Bill benefits to pay for the Online Education Program (TMU Online). Is this possible?

Yes, you are able to use your GI Bill for our online degree programs. After applying for the online program, please inform your online admissions coordinator that you plan to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The process for utilizing your GI Bill is the same as outlined above.

Online/Residential Graduate Programs

I am a veteran looking to use my GI Bill benefits to pay for graduate online/residential classes. Is this possible?

Yes, as long as you have already completed your undergraduate degree, the Veterans Administration will allow you to use your GI Bill benefits towards our graduate programs. As with the undergraduate programs, you will need to notify your admissions coordinator of your intention to use the GI Bill.


What is ROTC?

ROTC stands for “Reserve Officer Training Corps.” It is a program that trains and prepares university students to become commissioned officers in the US Armed Forces.   

Can I join ROTC while attending The Master's University?

Yes, TMU has “Cross-Town Agreements” with both Air Force and Army ROTC at local universities. This agreement is designed to allow students to attend The Master's University while participating in ROTC at another local school. A list of the ROTC detachments that TMU has agreements with can be found here.

What about Navy and Marine Corps ROTC?

At this time Navy and Marine Corps ROTC does not offer any "Cross-Town Agreements." Navy and Marine Corps ROTC requires its students to attend the university at which the ROTC unit is located.

How do I go about applying for both The Master's University and an ROTC program?

If you are interested in joining ROTC, the application process for TMU remains unchanged.  However, you will have to separately apply for ROTC. For more information about program requirements and the application process, please visit the following sites:

Air Force ROTC

Are scholarships available for or through ROTC?

Yes, both the Air Force and Army offer ROTC scholarships based on merit and personal qualifications. ROTC scholarships may be awarded up to the full cost of tuition, books, and fees, plus a monthly stipend. These scholarships are competitive, and their distribution is managed exclusively by the Air Force and Army. In other words, TMU has no influence over whether a student receives an ROTC scholarship. We recommend that students apply for scholarships during the fall semester of their high school senior year.

More information regarding ROTC scholarships can be found at the following pages:

Air Force ROTC

What ROTC unit do you recommend I apply to?

Our office recommends that students who are interested in Air Force or Army ROTC apply for the units at Loyola Marymount University (LMU) and Cal State Northridge (CSUN) respectively. LMU does not charge our students any tuition or fees for the required military science courses. Furthermore, all of our current Air Force ROTC students are a part of the LMU detachment. For Army ROTC, we recommend the branch at CSUN because it is relatively close to our campus.

I don't own a car; how will I find transportation to my ROTC classes and training?

Both our Air Force and Army ROTC students frequently car pool together to classes and training. The Military Student Advancement office will be able to assist you in connecting with our students who have cars.

What is life like in ROTC?

Army ROTC at CSUN meets three mornings per week for PT (physical training) starting at 6:30 am. They also meet on Friday mornings for the military science portion of their training. Air Force ROTC at LMU meets on Fridays. Students will be at LMU all day, so they should not schedule TMU classes on Fridays. Students will need to keep track of both their ROTC and TMU schedules to ensure that there are no conflicts.

My understanding is that TMU students are required to attend Chapel three days a week; how am I able to join ROTC?

The Student Life Department at TMU is fully aware of ROTC class and training requirements.  For both Air Force and Army ROTC students, it is possible to obtain a limited exemption to miss Chapel on Fridays.

If you have any additional questions, please contact the Military Student Advancement Office. You may call us at 661-362-2814, or send an e-mail to