STUDENT EMPLOYMENT PROGRAMS
TMU Work Study Program
The Federal Work Study Program at TMU exists to help students support themselves financially while gaining professional experience as they pursue an education. Work Study positions are available on campus across nearly all departments, and off campus with community partners.
Work Study positions are only available during the academic year. Typically, Work Study jobs require a minimum commitment of 10 hours/week, but do not exceed 20 hours/week.
All Work Study student employees are paid hourly and receive biweekly paychecks under TMU payroll procedures.
Factors to consider when comparing work study with alternative means of employment:
- Work Study earnings are excluded from the student’s annual income for financial aid purposes, which may increase a student’s eligibility for financial aid in future years.
- Work Study earnings, which taxable, are exempt from Federal FICA and California SDI withholdings (if the student is taking six or more units).
- Work Study student employees can earn over $6,000 per academic year, based on their level of commitment.
All TMU students deemed eligible to pursue Work Study employment by the Office of Financial Aid have equal opportunity to apply for on and off campus Work Study positions.
Work Study jobs and placement are not guaranteed, as the number to available positions will vary from year to year.
All available student jobs (Work Study and non-Work Study) are posted online in early August on TMU’s student job board, Handshake. Students can apply online for any open positions by submitting their application, resume and cover letter for consideration.
Interviews will be held during the first weeks of school. Most positions will be open and filled in August/September; however, positions will come available mid-year.
Off-Campus Employment (non-Work Study)
The Master’s University encourages students to step beyond the limitations of the campus network and seek employment in the community. Santa Clarita is a “bedroom community;” people who work in Los Angeles live and enjoy life here. There are hundreds of employers within a 5-mile radius of The Master’s University, which are accessible by foot, bicycle, bus or car!
Old Town Newhall and Lyons Avenue:
- National/franchised retailers including Family Christian Store, Pavilions, Claim Jumpers, Macaroni Grill, Ralph’s, World Market, Bed Bath & Beyond, Old Navy, Michael’s, Steinmart, Ralph’s, Goodwill
Westfield Mall (and surrounding area)
- National/franchised retailers including Barnes & Noble, Target, Edwards Cinemas, VONS, HomeGoods, Corner Bakery, Whole Foods, Bath and Body Works … there are literally hundreds of employers in this area, most of which have online job applications!