Student Employment Programs
Working on Campus
Student Employment at TMU exists to help students support themselves financially while gaining professional experience as they pursue an education.
All available on-campus student jobs (Work Study and non-Work Study) are posted year-round on TMU’s student job board, Handshake. Students can apply online for any open positions by submitting their application, resume and cover letter for consideration.
Most on-campus positions will open for application at the beginning of the academic year and will be filled in August/September. Typically, student jobs require a minimum commitment of 10 hours/week, and do not exceed 20 hours/week during academic periods.
Job placement and committed hours are not guaranteed, as the number of available positions will vary from year to year.
Student employees are paid hourly and receive biweekly paychecks under TMU payroll procedures.
Federal Work Study (FWS) Program
Work Study positions are only available during the academic year. Student employees who are eligible to participate in the Federal Work Study Program may take advantage of its benefits once hired. Student employees can contact the Office of Financial Aid to inquire about their FWS eligibility status.
Advantages of Work Study student employment:
- Work Study earnings are excluded from the family’s annual income when the student is filing for the Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This is done to protect a student’s eligibility for financial aid in future years.
- Work Study earnings, while taxable, are exempt from Federal FICA and California SDI tax withholdings (if the student is taking six or more units).
- Work Study student employees can earn over $6,000 per academic year, based on their level of commitment.
TMU also partners with local employers through our Off-Campus Federal Work Study Program. Students who are eligible for the Federal Work Study Program and already working off-campus in the local community are encouraged to reach out to the Office of Student Employment to inquire about contracting your employer as one of the university’s off-site FWS partners.
Off-Campus Employment (Non-Work Study)
The Master’s University encourages students to step beyond the limitations of the campus network and seek employment in the community. Santa Clarita is a “bedroom community;” people who work in Los Angeles live and enjoy life here. There are hundreds of employers within a 5-mile radius of The Master’s University, which are accessible by foot, bicycle, bus or car!
Old Town Newhall and Lyons Avenue:
- National/franchised retailers including Pavilions, Claim Jumpers, Macaroni Grill, Ralph’s, World Market, Bed Bath & Beyond, Old Navy, Michael’s, Petco, Ralph’s, Goodwill
Westfield Mall (and surrounding area)
- National/franchised retailers including Barnes & Noble, Target, Edwards Cinemas, VONS, HomeGoods, Corner Bakery, Whole Foods, Bath and Body Works … there are hundreds of employers in this area, most of which have online job applications!
Please visit TMU Handshake to search and review all open positions on and off campus.