F-1 Visa Information header-img

F-1 Visa Information

F-1 Student Visa

The F-1 visa is a type of non-immigrant student visa that allows non-immigrants to enter the U.S. to engage in full-time course of study and pursue an educational degree. F-1 visas are only issued at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate outside of the U.S.

Once admitted to TMU/TMS, students are eligible to obtain an F-1 visa by visiting their local U.S. Embassy or Consulate and presenting their TMU I-20 with additional supporting documents such as proof of financial support and SEVIS fee payment receipt. Students are expected to report to and attend the educational institution that issued their I-20 before they are eligible to transfer to another institution.

F-2 Dependent Visa

The F-2 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued to the dependents (spouse and children) of an F-1 student. F-2 visa holders are not eligible for employment authorization and may not engage in full-time course of study. Dependents must have an F-2 dependent’s I-20 issued to them by the institution sponsoring the F-1 visa to be eligible to obtain an F-2 visa at their local U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

What is SEVIS and SEVP?

The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) is designed to assist the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Department of State better monitor schools and exchange programs sponsoring F, M, and J visa holders. The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is an internet-based system that maintains accurate and current information on non-immigrant students (F and M visa holders), exchange visitors (J visa holders), and their dependents (F-2, M-2, and J-2 visa holders).

Request Info