Federal Verification Process

When you submit the FAFSA on the Web, you may be randomly selected by the Federal processor for a process called “verification.” This means the Department of Education requires our office to determine the accuracy of the information provided on your FAFSA on the Web application. If you receive this notification, please complete the following steps in compliance with Federal guidelines.

NOTE: The priority deadline is March 2nd. The following steps must be completed before March 2nd to be considered for priority awarding.

Verification Steps:

What is the IRS Data Retrieval?

The IRS Data Retrieval is a feature of FAFSA on the web, which links your FAFSA with your already filed federal tax information through the IRS. You may update your FAFSA by linking to your federal taxes and pulling your tax data directly from the IRS ‘auto-filling” the tax portion of your FAFSA. Taxes submitted electronically require 2-3 weeks before they can be requested. If they were submitted by paper, they will require up to 8-11 weeks. If you do not wish to complete the IRS Data retrieval and are required for verification, you must contact the IRS to request a copy of student and/or parent’s IRS tax transcript to provide to The Office of Financial Aid (See below, “Requesting an IRS transcript”).

How to use the IRS Data Retrieval:

See our IRS Data Retrieval Step by Step Guide.

NOTE: The student and parent must go to the IRS separately. Please ensure that you have a valid Social Security Number and have already filed taxes for the previous year.

What if I Cannot Complete the IRS Data Retrieval?

If you cannot complete Step 1 (above), you may request an IRS transcript and submit it to the Office of Financial Aid. (See our guide on How to Request an IRS Tax Transcript). You must request an IRS transcript if:

• You (or your parent) did not use the IRS Data Retrieval Process either at initial FAFSA filing or through subsequent corrections.\ • You changed information after using the IRS Data retrieval process.\ • Your tax status is ‘Married, filing separately.’\ • Your parents filed separate tax returns.\ • You (or your parent) had a change in marital status after the end of the tax year on December 31.\ • You (or your parent) filed an amended tax return.\ • You filed taxes outside the U.S.

Requesting an IRS Transcript:

  1. On the IRS website choose “Get Transcript of Your Tax Records” or call 800.908.9946 and request the transcript by phone (See our guide on How to Request an IRS Tax Transcript). You may also request one in writing by completing the IRS form 4506T-EZ and mailing it to the IRS.

  2. Select the “Get Transcript by Mail” option.

  3. Fill in the requested information and request the Return Transcript.

  4. Once you receive your transcript submit it to the Office of Financial Aid for verification.

Special Tax Circumstance

If you filed an extension, filed an amended return, were a victim of tax-related identity theft, or filed non-IRS income tax return, please click this link for more information.

Request Info