Previous Page  33 / 222 Next Page
Show Menu
Previous Page 33 / 222 Next Page
Page Background



Certification of finances is required for all international students to reflect that they have necessary funds to

pay for all tuition and related costs of living for at least their first year of schooling. Limited financial assistance

is available from The Master’s University, and a Financial Aid Application may be requested through the

International Admissions Counselor.


International students may transfer from another U.S. college or university if they are a full-time student at the

school currently attended, have maintained non-immigrant student status, and intend to be a full-time student

at The Master’s University. According to the F-1 student visa transfer regulations, the institution from which

the student is transferring must also confirm that the student has maintained his/her F-1 status throughout the

student’s enrollment with them.


Upon admission to The Master’s University, United States Federal law requires that an international student

must be registered as a full-time student. Minimum semester requirements for full-time status for the following

programs are:

Undergraduate – 12 units

Teacher Credential (5th year) program – 15 units

MABC/MABS resident program – 8 units

MABC/MABS – 8 units


Upon receipt of all documentation, an international student will be notified of the Admission Committee’s

decision. Once a student is accepted and the finances are verified, Form I-20 will be forwarded to them. Form

I-20 is an official document of the United States government which grants a foreign student permission to

apply for a student visa at a U.S. consulate or embassy.


The Master’s University requires that undergraduate F-1 visa international students begin their studies in the

fall semester (September). F-1 visa international students are not permitted to begin as new TMU students in

the Spring (January).


There are restrictions for international students auditing classes. They may audit courses; however, these units are not

included in their full-time unit load calculation. International visitors on B-1 or B-2 visas may not audit or enroll in


Thesis Work Pending for International Students in Graduate Level Programs

A graduate student actively working on a thesis, who continues to reside in the United States, and who has at one time

enrolled in the two-unit Thesis Prep course, can take less than a full load of classes and still maintain full time status.

The thesis itself is considered a full time endeavor. Normal progress to complete the thesis for the MABC resident

program is one year after completion of class work and the Thesis Prep course. The one year of thesis work has been

included in the length of program on the I-20 issued to the student. Therefore no extension of the I-20 end date will be


Online Course Work

Only one class (3 units) of online study may be applied toward the full-time enrollment requirement for international

students during any given semester.

Visa Waiver Program

Students from countries that are participating in the Visa Waiver program will not be allowed to attend classes for

auditing or for credit. It is The Master’s University’s understanding that the use of the visa waiver is for citizens of

certain countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a

visa. Any form of study on this type of visa would be a violation of status.