Transfer Policy

Transfer Students

Transfer Credit Policies

TMU grants credit for college level coursework from other colleges and universities based on the following criteria:

  1. The student must have good standing at the institution(s) previously attended. Students who have been dismissed or suspended from another college for disciplinary reasons must request that a letter be sent by the dean of the college involved, detailing the reasons for such dismissal.
  2. No courses will be transferred in which the grade earned was less than C (2.0). Credit will be given for accepted courses which will apply toward the student's course of study at The Master's University.
  3. No more than 70 units of credit will be accepted from a junior/community college. Courses for which credit is allowed toward the bachelor's degree must be university transfer level.
  4. No more than 94 units from other accredited institutions may apply toward fulfillment of degree requirements at The Master's University. Transfer students must take at least 12 semester units of upper division work in their major at TMU.
  5. Students who are transferring from an accredited institution and who have completed a lower division course which had content comparable to an upper division course at The Master's University may: (a) choose to retake the course at TMU to earn upper division credit for the course; or (b) choose to pass a competency exam to verify that the lower division course was comparable in rigor to the upper division course at TMU. Passing the competency exam entitles the student to enroll in another upper division course to earn sufficient upper division credits.
  6. Transfer credit may be granted to students from unaccredited schools of collegiate rank upon approval of the Vice-President for Academic Affairs.
  7. The Master's University will grant credit for transferable college coursework taken before high school graduation if taken from an accredited college. Official transcripts must be submitted and all other transfer requirements met.
  8. The maximum number of transfer credits which will be awarded for various types of "non-traditional" college coursework from accredited institutions are as follows:
    • 32 units of Advanced Placement (maximum of 32 units), CLEP examinations (maximum of 18 units), or credit by TMU assessment (maximum of 12 units).
    • 45 units of transfer credit from military transcript with maximum of 30 units applicable toward meeting TMU general education requirements.
    • 36 units of non-traditional course work including: directed studies courses, correspondence courses, computer and WWW-based distance education courses, or video/ITV-based courses.

Credit Limits for Non-Traditional TMU Coursework

The maximum number of semester units from non-traditional format TMU courses that a student may count toward a degree program is as follows:

  • 13 units of TMU Directed Studies courses.
  • 24 units of intensive format TMU courses (Post-session, Winterim, or GE school).
  • 24 units of credit for life experience assessment.

Credit by Examination

The Master's University, as a member of the College Entrance Examination Board, recognizes the merits of the Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and the International Baccalaureate (IB), and will grant credit for passing scores in certain tests offered through these programs. A student may earn a maximum of 32 semester units of AP/CLEP exam transfer credit. If a student takes a college course for which he/she has already received AP/CLEP credit, then he/she forfeits that transfer credit.

The Master's University reserves the right to determine the amount of credit that will be awarded for all AP/CLEP transfer credit examinations. Credit for all AP courses other than Math and Science, is awarded based on a score of "3", "4", or "5". Credit for Math and Science AP courses is awarded based on a score of "4" or "5". CLEP examination credit may be granted for all courses based on a CLEP score of 55 or above. The university will grant credit for IB examinations with scores of "5", "6", or "7".

Note: The Master's University has been designated as a national testing facility for the CLEP examination. If CLEP examinations have already been taken, contact the Registrar's Office for information regarding acceptance of CLEP scores. For testing information, see our CLEP Testing pages.

The Master's University

AP Information & Policies

High school students may receive advanced collegiate standing by participating in the Advanced Placement (AP) program. Up to 32 credits may be earned through this program or by other test-out procedures. Hours earned through Advanced Placement do not count as hours in residence toward graduation with honors.

To earn credit through Advanced Placement, students must enroll in specific AP courses offered by their respective high schools. Upon completing these courses, students take individual Advanced Placement examinations in each Advanced Placement course. Students may earn college credit for AP scores of three, four, or five. Students should request that scores from these examinations be sent directly to The Master's University by entering code number 4411 on their registration forms. Upon receiving these scores, the university awards the appropriate amount and type of credit for each examination as determined by each academic department. No fees other than the fees accompanying the examinations, must be paid in order to receive the college credit. In some cases, sophomore standing in particular subject areas may be earned through these examinations. Students should contact their local high schools to obtain Advanced Placement course and registration information.

The Master's University

CLEP Information & Policies

The Master's University participates in the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) sponsored by The College Board and administered nationally by Educational Testing Services through participating colleges and universities. This program is designed to provide the opportunity for students to earn college credit by passing examinations in subject areas in which they have already developed college-level knowledge and understanding. The examinations are composed of various multiple-choice questions and are administered in timed segments totaling 90 minutes.

The Master's University offers CLEP tests to current TMU students, as well as to individuals who have been accepted for admission to the university. For information on CLEP testing, click here.

CLEP examinations and the scores required to qualify for credit at The Master's University are reviewed annually are effective from July 1 through the following June. Score reports are evaluated by the standards being utilized at the time the exam was taken.

Students may not pursue credit by CLEP examination for any course in which they have been enrolled. Additionally, students may not CLEP a course if they have taken a more advanced level course in that discipline. Hours earned through CLEP examinations do not count as hours in residence toward graduation with honors.

Note: For students entering TMU as freshmen or sophomores, CLEP credit will only be awarded up to the end of the student's first semester of his/her senior year. For transfer juniors or seniors, CLEP credit will be awarded up to the fourth week of the final semester of the senior year.

A maximum of 32 semester units of test-out credit (including CLEP, AP, IB, and other department-approved test outs) may be earned toward a degree at The Master's University.

The CLEP program requires a minimum 6-month waiting period before repeating any test. CLEP exam results for high school students will be applied to the student's TMU transcript upon matriculation at the university.

Students may take CLEP exams at other institutions and request the scores be sent to The Master's University. This is done by designating The Master's University in the appropriate place when taking the exam. The Master's CLEP number is 4411. A complete list of test centers throughout the country is available from The College Board in Princeton, New Jersey, or can be referenced in the Career Services Center at The Master's University.

For more information contact:

TMU Testing Center CLEP
The Master's University P.O. Box 6600
21726 Placerita Canyon Road Princeton, NJ 08541-6600
Santa Clarita, CA 91321-1200
661-259-3540, ext. 2267 |