Frequently Asked Questions (International)

Answers to our most common questions from international applicants…

Where is The Master’s University Located?

TMU is located in Southern California, in suburban Santa Clarita, about 30 miles north of downtown Los Angeles.

How much does it cost to attend TMU?

Approximately $43,450 per year, including Tuition, Room, Meals, Books, and Fees.

What kind of financial aid is offered at TMU?

Although international students (non-US citizens) are not eligible for Government Aid, TMU does offer various scholarships. More info can be found on our International Student Financial Aid Page.

How many international students receive financial aid?

Currently, 100% of undergraduate international students at TMU receive some form of financial aid.

Can I find out how much financial aid I will receive before I go through the entire application process?

We cannot award you any financial aid until you have completed the entire application process, submitted all the necessary financial aid documents, and been offered admission to TMU.

Can I get low-interest student loans?

Government-subsidized student loans are not available for non-US citizens. International students should not plan on paying for their schooling with loans. One exception would be students from Canada, who can often obtain student loans through their province.

Are there special housing arrangements for international students?

We intentionally integrate our international and TCK (third culture kid) students throughout our residence halls. About 1 out of every 10 students at The Master’s University is an international student or TCK, so you will find some on nearly every dorm wing.

What is the ethnic make-up of TMU?

Here's the breakdown from last year:

  • White, Non-Hispanic 66.1%
  • Black / African-American 2.9%
  • American Indian & Alaskan 0.9%
  • Asian 5.4%
  • Hispanic / Latino 8.5%
  • Non-Resident Alien (International) 5.3%
  • Two or More Races 7.4%

What are TMU’s admission requirements for international students?

  • Faith in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior
  • English Language Test Scores (e.g. TOEFL) or SAT or ACT
  • Application + Personal Statements
  • Pastor Recommendation Form
  • High School and/or College Transcripts

I’m a “Third Culture Kid” or “Missionary Kid”—do I follow the international application process?

Not really. If you are a US citizen, then follow the normal process here. However, please let us know early in the process that you are a TCK (whether or not you are currently residing abroad), as we have some special adjustments that gear the application process toward your circumstances.

I have a US “Green Card”, what does that change?

As a lawful permanent resident (LPR), you are basically equivalent to a US citizen for application purposes. You may submit either TOEFL or SAT/ACT scores, depending on your circumstances. Additionally, you may be eligible for government financial aid, so make sure you fill out a FAFSA.

What is the TOEFL?

TOEFL stands for Test of English as a Foreign Language. The TOEFL exam is required for international students at almost every college and university in the United States. It evaluates your English proficiency in reading, writing, speaking, and listening.

What are the minimum TOEFL score requirements?

For undergraduate studies, The Master’s University requires a minimum TOEFL score of 550 for paper-based or 80 for internet-based (iBT). For our graduate-level programs, the minimum TOEFL scores are 600 and 100, respectively.

How do I register for the TOEFL exam and where do I send my scores?

Visit the official TOEFL website at for information about registering in your country. Scores should be submitted electronically using the school code for TMU: 4411.

Is there a due-date for the TOEFL?

If you take the Internet-Based TOEFL (iBT), scores are mailed within 15 days of the test. In order to meet TMU’s March 1 application deadline, please plan to take your TOEFL iBT before February. If you are in an area that still offers the paper-based TOEFL, scores can take 7-8 weeks to reach us. Therefore you should take the paper-based TOEFL before January.

Will I need to take the SAT or ACT exams?

If English is your native language, we recommend that you submit an SAT or ACT score instead of a TOEFL score. If English is not your native language, then you do not need to submit SAT or ACT scores. The TOEFL alone is sufficient.

What are the “Personal Statements”?

You must submit two personal statements as part of your application. You will find the questions within the application itself, either on paper or online. The questions help the Admissions Committee evaluate your Christian testimony, your college ambitions, and your writing skills.

What is the “Doctrinal Questionnaire”?

The Doctrinal Questionnaire is a brief, two-question form that helps the Admissions Committee understand more about your Christian background and beliefs. It can be downloaded here and should be submitted along with your application, if requested.

My high school or college transcripts are not in English—what should I do?

Your transcripts must be officially translated into English, and then evaluated by a credential evaluation service. See here for more details.

I’m an international student, but have already completed some university coursework in the USA—does that change anything?

If you have completed the equivalent of at least 24 semester credit-hours at an accredited college or university in the USA (excluding intensive English language programs), then you need only to send us your college transcripts—not your high school (secondary) transcripts. Additionally, you generally do not need to submit TOEFL or SAT/ACT scores.

Do I need to pay an application fee?

International students applying from abroad do not need to pay the application fee.

Can I email application or financial aid documents to you?

Yes.  If you have access to a scanner, or complete some of the forms on your computer (e.g. your personal statements), you may email them to the International Admissions Counselor.

Will I need a special visa?

International Students—those who are not US citizens or lawful permanent residents—will generally need an F-1 student visa to attend TMU.

Can I have a job while at TMU?

International students on an F-1 Visa are permitted to work on-campus up to 20 hours per week. Many international students at TMU receive on-campus Work Study in their financial aid award ($2,500 or $5,000). On-campus jobs are handled through the Office of Student Employment. F-1 Visa holders should not plan to work off-campus, due to federal laws.

Can I get around without a car?

Definitely! Plenty of your friends will have cars and can take you where you need to go. There's always plenty of things to do around campus, though!

Will I need a laptop computer?

Yes, you should plan to obtain a laptop either in your home country (be sure your bring the appropriate electrical adapter) or here in the USA. Average prices for laptops in the USA range from $500-$2000. An iPad or netbook alone will not be sufficient.

When should I arrive on campus?

If you will be on an F-1 student visa, you are not permitted in the United States until 30 days before orientation day. Passport to Master's, our orientation program for incoming international students begins the Thursday before WOW (Week of Welcome). You will be notified of the specific date. We do not provide any housing for incoming students prior to the start of Passport to Master's, so make your plans accordingly.

What airport should I fly to?

If you are flying from overseas, you should fly into Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). If flying in from the US or Canada, you may want to try for Burbank (Bob Hope) Airport, which is closer to the TMU campus.

How will I get from the airport to The Master’s University campus?

If you let the Office of International Student Advancement know your travel plans as soon as you make them, we may be able to arrange pick-up from LAX for Passport to Master's.

Can I contact you via Skype?

Absolutely! Email us to find out more.

If you have additional questions not answered above, please let us know. Email the Office of International Student Advancement.