Students who have taken out Stafford loans are eligible for deferment as long as they are enrolled in a program at least half time. Unsubsidized loans will still accrue interest, and subsidized loans will cease accruing interest until a student drops below half-time again or graduates. Please note that students enrolled in the DEEP program are not eligible for loan deferment. Half-time status is defined as follows:
Undergraduate and Degree Completion (CPS): 6 units
M.Div: 5.5 units
MABS, MABC/SIP, D.Min, MAE: 4 units
Th.M: 2 units
Loans might not be deferred automatically once you re-enter school. To request a deferment, please follow these steps:
- Find out both the type of loan (FFELP or Direct Loan) you have by going to www.nslds.ed.gov. This will determine which form you’ll need to use.
- Fill out an in-school deferment request form, based on the type of loan you have. Both forms can be found here:
Direct Loan In-School Deferment Form
FFELP In-School Deferment Form
- Fill out your information on the request form. Please leave the section which has your enrollment dates and graduation date blank.
- Send the form to the financial aid office. You can mail it, fax it to 661-362-2693 or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The registrar will verify your units and notify the servicer on your behalf. If you are in a graduate program, it may be necessary to defer your loan each year.
If you have any questions, please contact Phil Anderson at 661-362-2296 or email@example.com.