Loan Deferment

Students who have taken out Stafford loans are eligible for deferment as long as they are enrolled in a program at least half time. Unsubsidized loans will still accrue interest, and subsidized loans will cease accruing interest until a student drops below half-time again or graduates. Half-time status is defined as follows:

  • Undergraduate and Degree Completion (DCP): 6 units
  • M.Div: 5.5 units
  • MABS, MABC/SIP, D.Min, MAE: 4 units
  • Th.M: 2 units

    Loans might not be deferred automatically once you re-enter school. To request a deferment, please follow these steps:

    1. Fill out an in-school deferment request form by clicking on the following link:
      In School Deferment Request Form
    2. Fill out your information on the request form. Please leave the section which has your enrollment dates and graduation date blank.
    3. Send the form to the financial aid office. You can mail it, fax it to 661-362-2693 or email it to
    4. The registrar will verify your units and notify the servicer on your behalf. If you are in a graduate program, it may be necessary to defer your loan each year.
      If you have any questions, please contact Phil Anderson at 661-362-2296 or
    • 21726 Placerita Canyon Rd.
    • Santa Clarita, CA 91321
    • (800) 568-6248
    • Come Visit Us!