Carl M. Sweazy Hall Women's Dormitory
Some history of the dorm:
Sweazy was completed in 1990 as part of an expansion project to accomodate the growing student population following Dr. John MacArthur's coming as President of the school in 1985. Dixon and Waldock Halls were a part of that expansion as well. The hall is named after Carl M. Sweazy, a professor at the school in the 1940's and 50's. He was the school's president from 1955-1959. He was instumental in bringing several other prominent faculty to the school including Milton Fish and Herbert Hotchkiss. These men together would bring the school through a tenuous time of financial pressure and external pressure to merge with another Baptist college.
What is Sweazy Hall like?
Sweazy is a two-story building. Between two wings of rooms, are two lounges, one on each floor. The Resident Director apartment is located in the middle as well on the second story. The dorm is divided into four wings, one per-floor-per-side of 10-12 rooms each with a large central shower and restroom area and laundry facilities. Each room is fully furnished for two students including beds, built-in shelving, drawers, and closet space and desks. Rooms have their own individual heater/air-conditioner unit. The wings are normally referred to as "Upper-East", "Upper-West", "Lower-East", "Lower-West" with reference to their location from the central dorm entrance in the second-story lounge.