Remote Desktop Support
What is remote support?
The IT Service Desk frequently uses remote support as a means to assist the user and resolve minor issues quickly, in real-time, with the goal of causing minimal interruption to the user. Through remote support, technicians can take control of a user’s computer to resolve the issue or gain information on a problem, eliminating the complication of arranging an appointment time.
Starting a remote support session:
1. Open a web browser (Internet Explorer preferred) and navigate to "support.masters.edu"
2. Click on the "Helpdesk" link in the middle of the page.
3. Click "Run" to install the temporary remote support software on your machine.
4. After a few moments, a technician will send you a request to control your screen. Click "Allow shared control of your computer."
5. Our technician will now be able to assist you remotely. Once the support session is completed, the technician will end the remote connection and the software will be removed from your computer.
Using the Snipping Tool
What is the Snipping Tool?
Occasionally, you may need to capture an image from your computer screen. This can be especially useful in taking pictures of errors to send to IT Operations to assist us in diagnosing the problem.
How to use the Snipping Tool:
1. To access the Snipping tool, click on the Start Menu and type Snipping Tool into the search bar.
2. Open the application and select New to begin a new screen capture.
3. Your screen will turn white except for the mouse. Click the mouse once and drag the pointer across the area of the screen you wish to capture. Click again to end the capture.
4. Your capture will open in the Snipping Tool Editor. From here, you can draw on the image, save it, copy it, or email it.