Frustrated With Overtime Work

The Master's College men's soccer team doesn't mind doing a little bit of extra work but it would sure like to have something more to show for it than a plethora of ties. 

For the third time in four matches, the Mustangs played 110 minutes on Saturday afternoon and wound up in a 1-1 deadlock with No. 5 Azusa Pacific on Reese Field.  With a trio of ties and a loss in their past four outings, the Mustangs (7-1-3 overall, 0-1-2 GSAC) haven't won since September 20.

Although the Cougars had a dominating 9-1 shot advantage in the first half, only two of those were on goal.  However, they made one of them count when Nathan Nienhuis, on an assist from Oktay Bulut, shot one by Mustang goalie Andrew Bussell at the 29:10 mark of the opening period.

That margin held up through halftime and through the first 10 minutes of the second half when the Mustangs finally knotted things up.  At the 55:23 mark, junior transfer Jorge Serrano evened the score with an unassisted tally.  It was Serrano's fourth goal of the campaign and gave him a team-high 17 points.

The Mustangs, in a complete reversal from the first half, continued to pound the ball at the Cougar goal, winding up with five shots on goal in the second half.  However, much like his Mustang counterpart, APU goalie Joe Geletko was up to the task, blanking the Mustangs the rest of regulation and through two overtime periods.

In a 10-minute window of the second half, the Mustangs peppered the Cougar goal with four shots, three of them by Joel Peluffo, only to be turned away by Geletko.

Meanwhile, Bussell seemed to be a casual observer as the Cougars gave him no shots to save over the final 45 minutes of regulation.

A little over a minute into the first 10-minute overtime, the Mustangs had a great chance to win on a Fabrice Gautrat header but Geletko made the save to keep the squads on the field.

Neither team put a shot on goal in the second extra period and both clubs walked off the Reese Field turf somewhat dissatisfied.

Overall, the Cougars held a 15-12 shot advantage but the Mustangs had a 7-2 edge in shots on goal.

Looking to snap their four-game winless streak, the Mustangs return to action on Tuesday when they travel to Fullerton to take on Hope International.