Mustangs Shoot Down Hawks

Anthony Cammon scored a game-high 24 points, Mike Harmon added 18 more off the bench, and Paul Brown added a double-double as The Master’s College downed San Diego Christian 77-60 in a GSAC contest Saturday evening in San Diego.

The impressive road win was the Mustangs’ second in as many conference starts and lifted their overall record to 9-2.

Playing their first game in a week, the Mustangs showed some early rust after a week of finals, falling behind 12-3 in the first three minutes.  Cammon, who was very consistent with 11 first-half points and 13 more over the final 20 minutes, put an end to the Hawks’ 9-0 run with a three-pointer.

As it turned out, that just set things up for Harmon who came blazing off the bench to singlehandedly put the Mustangs in front to stay.  He did it quickly and from long range.  In the space of two minutes and on four consecutive Mustang possessions, the freshman from Texas drained four three-pointers, taking his team from a 15-8 deficit to a 20-15 lead.

He wasn’t done either, burying two more trifectas in just under three minutes as the Mustang lead reach double digits (30-20) with 8:19 left in the first half.  When the smoke had cleared from Harmon’ sizzling right hand, the youngster had made all six of his shots from behind the arc.  Surprisingly, he wouldn’t score the rest of the evening but his hot hand had set the tone for the rest of the evening when the Mustangs would never trail again.

The Hawks didn’t go away quietly, closing to 35-28 on a Jacob Garcia layup with 4:07 remaining in the half.  But, freshman Chris Patureau answered with a tip-in and Cammon added a layup to fuel an 8-2 burst to give the Mustangs their largest lead (43-30) of the half before settling for a 43-32 advantage at the break.

Fueled by an 8-14 showing from behind the arc, the Mustangs hit 47% (16-34) of their shots from the field in the first half while holding the Hawks to 41% (9-22) efficiency.  Somewhat lost in the glow of the Cammon-Harmon offensive explosion was the play of Brown who quietly went about his business with five points and eight rebounds.  The junior center was far from done, too, as the Hawks would find out.

Determined not to let this one get away from them, the Mustangs kept the Hawks at arms’ length through the first eight minutes of the second half, leading by as many as 15 points twice.  Those occasions came in the initial two minutes of the final period on a Brown jumper (47-32) and a Cammon bucket (49-34).

The lead remained in double digits until the Hawks made one last run, using a 6-0 spurt to slice the deficit to 55-48 with 11:39 remaining.  But, junior Leif Karlberg ended the skein with a three-pointer and Cammon tallied a three-point play for a 61-50 advantage with just over 10 minutes left.

The Hawks never got closer than nine points the rest of the way.  Meanwhile, the Mustangs closed strong, outscoring the Hawks 10-2 over the last four minutes to post their largest lead of the game with the final score.  Brown and Cammon led the closing assault, tallying four and six points, respectively.

On the way to his game-high total, Cammon went 10-19 from the field and ran the offense effectively with a game-best seven assists and just one turnover.  Posting season-highs of 14 points and 12 rebounds, Brown notched his second double-double of the season.

Before heading off for Christmas break, the Mustangs will gun for their 10th win of the season Tuesday evening when they host Grace College of Indiana in a 7:30pm start in Bross Gym.