Lions Go Extra To Beat Mustangs

March 14, 2012
Box Score

WINONA LAKE, Indiana--Southwestern Assemblies of God parlayed a pair of three-pointers and four free throws in the final three minutes of overtime to pull away from The Master’s College 80-73 Thursday afternoon in a first-round game at the NCCAA National Tournament in Winona Lake, Indiana.

The loss knocked the Mustangs (19-15) out of the championship bracket of the eight-team tourney and into the consolation bracket where they will face Truett-McConnell of Georgia Thursday morning at 10:45 PDT.

After senior Anthony Cammon forced overtime with a game-tying shot (68-all) with four seconds left in regulation, neither team could dent the scoreboard in the extra period until Paul Brown’s bucket with 3:55 left gave the Mustangs a 70-68 lead.

Following a couple of fruitless possession and a missed free throw by Devin Dyer, the Lions finally broke through on a James Ford three-pointer, surging in front to stay 71-70.  The Mustangs had a chance to tie on their next possession but Dyer missed another charity toss and the Lions capitalized on that with another long-range bomb as Christian Wood gave his team a 74-70 edge with 1:34 remaining.

Cammon made one out of two from the line the next time down the court to draw the Mustangs within three but the Lions put the game away with another bucket and four straight free throws.

The Mustangs considered themselves to be very fortunate to even have a chance of stealing this one after the way they played the first 12 minutes of the game.  In the first 6:12 of play, the Lions leaped to a 14-3 lead, holding the Mustangs scoreless for over five minutes and limiting them to 1-9 shooting from the field.

Chris Patureau’s bucket with 13:48 left in the first half snapped the squad out of its scoring drought and when fellow freshman Jon Hogan connected 14 seconds later, the Mustangs had halved the deficit.  Just over a minute later, they made it a six-point (16-10) game when Hogan drilled a three-pointer.  After the Lions tallied the next four points, Leif Karlberg answered with a trifecta, slicing the deficit to 20-13 at the 10:38 mark.

That seemed to wake up the Lions, however, as they raced away over the next 2½ minutes, outscoring the Mustangs 12-5 in that stretch to double the advantage (32-18).  Ford capped the burst with a three-pointer with 7:40 left in the half.

Rocked back on their heels, the Mustangs regained their composure and galloped back into the game with their finest play of the evening.  Fueled by a Brown layup with 6:46 showing on the clock, the Mustangs ripped off the game’s next 10 points, slicing the deficit to four points in little over two minutes.

Along the way, Dyer buried a three-pointer, Patureau converted a three-point play, and then the first-year player finished off the run with a basket at the 4:24 mark.  Eventually, the Mustangs closed to 36-34 at halftime after Dyer and Anthony Wells sank baskets to end the period.

The Mustangs’ late first-half run carried over into the second period as they scored the first seven points to open up their largest lead of the game at 46-41.  Dyer ignited the run with a game-tying basket, Karlberg put the Mustangs ahead, and Cammon gave the club the five-point advantage with a triple.

They stayed in front for the next three minutes before a Ford basket knotted the game at 47 but consecutive hoops by Karlberg and Wells put the Mustangs back in front by four points with 12:36 left to play.  That margin didn’t hold up very long as the Lions outscored the Mustangs 6-2 over the next three minutes to tie the game at 53 at the 9:44 mark.

From then on no more than three points separated the clubs and eight lead changes and six ties highlighted the remaining minutes of regulation.  A Hogan bucket with 7:41 left gave the Mustangs a 58-55 lead and a Dyer three-ball a little over a minute later made it a 61-58 game.

The Lions regained the lead on a Jonathan Walker with 5:2  A Hogan bucket with 7:41 left gave the Mustangs a 58-55 lead and a Dyer three-ball a little over a minute later made it a 61-58 game.

The clubs traded leads over the next few minutes before a Craig Grigsby three-pointer with 15 seconds left gave the Lions a 68-66 advantage, setting up Cammon’s game-tying basket at the end of regulation.

In the final game of his freshman season, Patureau played superbly, posting a double-double with a team-high 17 points and a game-best 10 rebounds.  Dyer added 14 points, Cammon had 13 more in his final collegiate game, and Karlberg finished with 10 more.