Long Range Marksmanship Brings Down Eagles

December 6, 2012

Santa Clarita, CA -- At various times over the first 10 games of the 2012-13 campaign, The Master's College men's basketball team has lived by the three-pointer and died by it.  On Thursday night in Bross Gym, the Mustangs thrived on it, burying a season-best 16 treys en route to a 99-58 thrashing of La Sierra.

The lopsided victory, featuring season-highs for points scored and margin of victory, was the Mustangs' third straight and lifted them to 8-3.

Although they enjoyed great success from behind the arc the entire evening, the Mustangs didn't nail their first trifecta until the 15:50 mark of the first half when Leif Karlberg (Anchorage, AK), returning from a two-game injury absence, buried the first of his five three-pointers to extend the TMC lead to 9-3.

That ignited a plethora of long-range bombs as the Mustangs tallied their next 12 points from behind the arc.  Derrick Fain (Dallas, TX), who equaled Karlberg's three-point numbers, drained his first and was quickly followed by Devin Dyer (Temecula, CA), Karlberg again, and finally, Logan Quinn (Little Rock, AR) with 13:31 left in the half for a 21-10 lead.  The Mustangs never led by less than that margin the rest of the game.

Quinn's trey ignited a 10-0 burst over a four-minute span that also featured jumpers from Fain and Paul Brown (Kingston, Jamaica), a layup by Jason Logan (Spartanburg, SC), and a Dyer free throw at the 10:15 mark to cap things off at 28-10.

The Mustangs were far from done, too.  After the clubs traded buckets, moving the score to 30-14, the Mustangs took off once again, outscoring the Golden Eagles 22-6 over the last 7:47 of the half.  A three-point play from Brown triggered the run and Chris Patureau's (Houston, TX) jumper at the halftime buzzer extended the lead to a half-high 32 points, 52-20.  Fain was the featured scorer during the run, draining a trio of trifectas to put even more distance between the Mustangs and the visitors.

At the half, Fain's 16 points (4-5 from behind the arc) led all scorers andKarlberg had nine more as the Mustangs connected on 56% (18-32) of their shots, including 8-13 from long range, while holding the Golden Eagles to a measly 22% (7-32) mark.

There was more of that over the final 20 minutes as the Mustangs continued to bomb away from the outside, opening things up also for punishing drives to the basket.  Karlberg's first of three second-half treys with 18:33 left to play lengthened the advantage 57-22 and when he connected again just over three minutes later, the margin went over the 40-point mark, 70-29.

The margin didn't dip below that number the rest of the way as the Mustangs continued to shoot it from all over.  A Patureau three-pointer with 11:27 left to play made it 81-40 and Korey Anderson's traditional three-point play with 7:11 showing on the clock gave the Mustangs their second straight 90-point-plus showing.

They hit 99 points on what else, another three-pointer, this one off the hands of Quinn with 3:13 remaining, but couldn't crack the century mark in the waning moments of play.

For the second game in a row, Fain (5-6 from behind the arc) led five Mustangs in double figures, tallying a game-high 21 points.  Karlberg, who went 5-8 from long range, was right behind with 18 points while Logan tallied 13 more and yanked down a team-high eight rebounds.  Quinn, who tied Dyer for game-high assist honors with six, posted a season-high trio of three-pointers en route to 11 points and Patureau chipped in with 10 more.

After playing four games in seven days, the Mustangs get some much-needed rest in the week ahead as they study for finals.  They'll be back in action on December 14 when they host UC Santa Cruz in a 7:00pm start in Bross Gym.