Live By The Three...

November 24, 2012

Claremont, CA - One night after shooting the lights out from long range, The Master's College experienced life at the other end of the spectrum Saturday evening, falling 68-53 to Claremont at the David Wells Classic.

The loss dropped the Mustangs to 5-2.

After going 12-18 from behind the arc in Friday's victory over Pomona-Pitzer, the Mustangs managed just four three-pointers against the Stags.  Three (3-8) of those came in a very competitive first half but a 1-10 showing in the final stanza kept the Mustangs from catching Claremont.

Meanwhile, the Stags converted 10 of their 22 attempts from behind the arc with a 7-12 performance in the first half putting them ahead to stay.  They grabbed a quick 3-0 lead on a Remy Pinson trifecta 40 seconds into play but the Mustangs evened things up at 8-all over four minutes later (15:08) when Devin Dyer (Temecula, CA) drilled the second of his four trifectas.  Dyer was the lone Mustang to hit a three-pointer.

The clubs managed three more ties over the next five minutes before a 5-0 spurt, triggered by a Dyer three-ball, moved the Mustangs out to a 25-20 lead.  They held a variety of leads for nearly five more minutes until the Stags used a trio of three-pointers to key a decisive 13-0 run that vaulted them into a lead they would never surrender.

The Mustangs went to halftime down 37-32.  Dyer paced the Mustangs with 13 points while Jason Logan (Spartanburg, SC) and Austin Loeb (Cypress, CA) came off the bench to pitch in nine apiece as the club hit 60% (12-20) of their shots from the field.

But, that accuracy was missing in the second half when the Mustangs never got closer than four points while the Stags led by as many as 17 points.  The Stags started the final stanza with a 7-1 burst and never looked back.  The Mustangs didn't give up, though, chiseling away at the deficit and drawing to within 46-42 on a Loeb jumper at the 14:16 mark.

However, the Stags didn't let the Mustangs come all the way back as they held TMC to just two points over a seven-minute stretch while tearing off 12 points themselves to take a 58-44 lead with 7:06 left to play.  That was enough to put away the Mustangs, who scored just 21 second-half points.

After a sparkling first half of shooting, the Mustangs managed just 35% (8-23) accuracy over the final 20 minutes.  On an otherwise off-night for the Mustangs, Dyer shone, going 8-16 from the field en route to a season-high 20 points.  Logan complemented him with 13 points and tore down a game-high 10 rebounds for his third double-double of the young season while Loeb tallied 11 more.

Now, the Mustangs turn their attention to a Northern California trip next weekend, hoping to come back with two wins.  On Friday evening (November 30) they play Simpson, a team they handled easily 68-46 in the season-opener three weeks ago, in Redding and then turn around 24 hours later to play William Jessup in Rocklin.