POL220 - US Government
A survey of American institutions and processes. Included are such topics as the Constitution, federalism, Congress, the presidency, judiciary, and civil rights. This course is 8 weeks long.
Through studying the relationship between the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, the student should:
- Gain not only a new appreciation for both documents but also a new understanding as to how they fit together and complement one another
- Gain an appreciation for the collective wisdom of the founders themselves
- Understand and appreciate the Bill of Rights and the amending process
- Understand and appreciate our basic political institutions
- Develop a critical ability to analyze and evaluate the formal and informal political process including the roles of the mass media, bureaucracy, political parties and interest groups.
- 3 proctored exams
- Worksheets from assigned reading
- 1 research paper on any topic covered in assigned reading
Course Instructor Welcome Message